Ideal Standard is a leading UK manufacturer of commercial bathroom and sanitary ware. In order to improve productivity and solve an employee health and safety challenge, Ideal Standard required an automated punching system that could consistently and precisely preform the punching process.
The automation solution is comprised of a vision guided robotic system, custom-built punch tooling, conveyors and a control system connected to the factory centralised management system.
1. The tanks are placed by the casting machine onto the wet conveyor.
2. The tanks transfer out of the cell onto the dry conveyor.
3. The central conveyor positions the tank singularly into the hole punching position.
4. The production management system connects with the robot control system, verifying the tank variant and its punching pattern.
5. The robot starts the punching operation using vision to confirm the position of the tank
6. The robot deposits all slugs into the slug chute.
7. The tank transfers to the outfeed conveyor.
8. The operator finishes the prep operation outside the robot cell.
9. The cycle can then be repeated.
Six punching tools are mounted on stand for the robot to couple with the correct tool.
The automated system is designed to operate at 1.5 minutes per tank, allowing the punching to take place within the short time window before the clay hardens.
Videos are available on request.